Saturday, November 3, 2012

Saturdays in Burlington

So for the past few weeks, my friends and I have made Saturdays into Burlington trips. We usually hit City Market for groceries and the farmer's market for fresh veggies and granola. Afterward, we always end up wandering around Church Street. Church Street is always really nice on Saturdays, even when it's cold and raining (like it was today).
Today, we had a specific mission. My friend Jan-Luis and I have started (tentatively) a project we are calling "People Of Vermont." POV is a spin-off of Humans of New York, a beautiful and poetically comedic blog. JLo, Erica (my roommate), and I took some awesome pictures of people today and had some great conversations.
Despite the pre-winter chill, there were a lot of really talented street performers out today. One guy, John Stork, juggled fire while balancing on four chairs and a table, then added another chair ad did a handstand on the whole stack. He was hilarious. We also talked to (and photographed) five or six street musicians. We even found a band, Tricky Britches, who had such a smooth sound and awesome group dynamic. Most of the music played on Church Street is similar in style, but we managed to find an Iranian boy playing freestyle acoustic guitar, and his talent was extraordinary. After listening to a bunch of music and watching performers, we walked down an alley to the park, where a group of teenagers were skateboarding. They looked intimidating at first, but when we asked them for their photographs, they immediately got excited and really into it. They ended up being really friendly.
At one point, I even ran into someone I knew! We went up to her at first because her hair was colored so beautifully, but when she told us her name, I realized I knew her. She went to the Champlain College Young Writers Conference last year as a mentor. I went as an attendee. I told her I recognized her, and she remembered me as well! It was just a nice reminder of the small world we live in. :)

POV is brand new, so everyone should go like it! We will be posting the photos from today throughout the week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment